Sunday, October 25, 2009

So Much Information, So Little Time

Lat week I was training some teachers in Web 2.0 tools. We were creating blogs and talking about using social media like Facebook and Twitter as professional tools. One of the teachers predictably (since teacher are a sharp group) pointed out the elephant in the room - how do you find the time? My answer, was, in all truthfulness, I don't. I haven't posted to this blog in weeks. I haven't checked my RSS feeds in two weeks, and boy the rest of the world has been busy. I haven't checked Facebook in weeks. There's no telling what my friends have been up to in my absence! I've only been on Twitter as a lurker, except for a brief post last week. I am, in summary, doing Web 2.0 badly.

So, how do we do it well? Well, I think it takes discipline (something I've been known to lack). I also think it takes using the limited time in each day more effectively. I could, for example, be tweeting from my iPhone while commuting, but this might be unwise (unless my husband was driving). I could be online instead of reading or watching Mad Men or Dirty Jobs, but then it would be too much like a job.

No, I think the answer is balance in all things. You have to blog when you can, check up on your friends on Facebook when you have chance, Tweet when you've got something important to share. And, you have to accept the fact that you're not perfect. Isn't that the way with most of life? I think it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment